Science projects for kids should be able to explain concepts of science in the simple way and the projects should be simple enough that they could be performed by kids themselves. Materials or the equipments used should be available easily and the experiments should be safe.
Testing – force of Magnetism :
Magnetism is a force by which an object attracts the other. This experiment is to prove that magnetism can cross the paper, wood, water and other substances.
- Paper clip
- Place a paper clip on one side of the cardboard and hold the magnet on the other side of it and now try to move the paper clip by moving the magnet.
- Draw a maze and try to move the paper clip in that and guide it in specific directions
- Drop the paper clips inside a bowl and place magnet near the surface if water and try to pull the clips out of the water.
These steps will show the strength of magnetic field and will also prove that it can cross many objects.
This experiment is based on the principle “opposite attracts”
1. Inflate a balloon and tie the mouth of balloon so that air does not escape.
2. Now rub the balloon on your hair or pullover for about 10 minutes
3. Now just hold the balloon close to your hair they will feel an attraction.
When balloon and hair were rubbed they both acquired different charges and this resulted in their attraction.
Bending Pencil :-
This experiment is based on the principle of refraction of light- light rays bend when they move from one medium to another with different densities.
- Glass filled with water
- Take a glass with half filled water.
- Immerse the pencil in the water.
- Observe the pencil from the top
- Now observe from bottom
- At last, observe from side
When the pencil will be observed from the side of the glass of the glass it would look bent. This happens due to the bending of light.
Sinking Orange :-
This experiment simply shows the principle behind the sinking and floating of objects.
- Mug filled with water
- Place an orange in a mug filled with water
- Try to push it
- Now peel the orange
- Now place peeled orange back to the mug.
The orange will not sink in the first case but after peeling it will. Peeling the orange will make it lighter because the peel has pores where air is trapped which makes orange lighter to float.